Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Be Brave!

"The Long Way Home"
One of my favorite paintings of years past was in need of an overhaul. James Coe once told me he doesn't consider a painting "finished" until it sells and constantly reworks his art. With that in mind, I decided to take the red fox out of "The Long Way Home" and replace him with a trio of gobblers. I also added a splash of morning light behind the birds drawing the viewers eye to the bend in the road. This kind of adventurous update is something I would have never attempted earlier in my career. There is always some fear involved that I might screw up an otherwise decent painting, but confidence in my ability to correct any missteps allows me the freedom to try all sorts of cool stuff.
"Long-Beards of Steckler Hollow" 20x30 acrylic

Now that I have the images side by side, I've also noticed how much better the photography of my paintings has become. The image of the updated painting is much more accurate to the true colors.
Complete with a new title and soon to have a brand new frame, this painting is destined for the Waterfowl Festival in Easton, MD in November.

1 comment:

Terry Miller said...

Absolutely splendid! What a great makeover.