Saturday, October 8, 2011

Weekend Plein Air

There is something very satisfying about these plein air studies. Maybe it's just because the plein air process is so new to me. Maybe it's because it forces me to look at my subjects in a new way helping me see things I didn't notice before. Maybe it's because it so damned difficult! Whatever the reason, I'm having quite a good time with these studies. I've noticed since I started working like this, I look at the world in terms of paint and brushwork. I like the way trees meet the sky and the leaves and branches lose themselves in soft edges. It's fun to look at something and contemplate how I'd work the problem in paint. I can alos see that this will ultimately affect my acrylic work.





1 comment:

Jeff said...

Jim,
I really like these Plein Air paintings. Especially the bottom one, the leaves seem to leap out at you.
I for one am seeing many things these days in a totally different light if you know what I mean.
Keep up the good work,
Jeff