Friday, October 30, 2009

Drawing

Drawing is such a large part of being an artist… yet it is widely ignored by so many. I’m not sure why that is, but it always concerns me. Learning to draw is directly paralleled with learning to “see,” so I am constantly looking to improve my skills. Every so often I make a new friend and they teach me something wonderful. This fall, I was fortunate to have met Debby Kaspari. Debby is a wonderful artist from Oklahoma and one of the best I’ve ever seen at putting her thoughts onto paper with a pencil. She is a true creative spirit and was kind enough to share some of her insight with me during a short drawing session. Thanks Debby… it’s helped immensely.

This year during my forays into the field with my bow, I’ve been dragging along a small sketch pad and a pencil. It helps to pass the hours (sometimes days) on stand while waiting for deer to move. Wandering the woodlots of western Pennsylvania, there is never a shortage of interesting subjects to draw. As I’ve always said… time spent drawing is never time wasted.

No comments: