Sunday, June 7, 2009

Departure


Learning to paint with oils, for me, is like learning a new language... a new way to communicate. This style of painting is so far removed from my "normal" acrylic way of doing things, that each time begin a new piece, it feels like an adventure. It's all very new and exciting!
In Departure (11x14), I really wanted to capture the essence of sunlight filtering through an opening in the forest canopy. The blues in the shaded leaves are complimented by the flecks of orange light in brighter areas of the scene.

2 comments:

Jeremy Pearse said...

I like this one very much too, an unusual subject and I think that is why it resonates with me. The foreground has been handled very well - subdued but about what you would expect in such a scene. Lovely!

Jim Bortz said...

Thank you again!